Friday, June 12, 2009

Self help for muscle problems

There are a few very basic ways you can help yourself.
Muscles need water and oxygen to have enough energy to contract and relax. If you have a lot of tight muscles, your body may have had enough energy to contract, but not relax.
Water expands the volume of blood. Blood carries oxygen. Drinking more water is so important.
A proper warm up before increased activity is also vital. At rest, only about 15% of our total blood volume is in our muscles, the rest is in out gut. So we want to slowly increase our heartrate, so that when we ask our muscles to perform at higher levels, there will be plenty of oxygen rich blood in our muscles.....or else, they will fatigue....rigor....yuck, ouch, injury, I'm tired.
Light cardio benefits your whole body. So if you are dealing with a lot of tightness or rigor in your body, get moving. Remember, general increased circulation brings new fresh oxygen rich blood to your muscles and my help them relax.
Heat is very helpful....increase blood circulation to the local area. An epsom salt bath is great, the epsom salts draw out toxins.
Get some tennis or baseballs to roll around on. I like tennis balls to work along my spine. If my low back is sore, I like baseballs in my glutes. Just find the sore spots and hang out for a while and breath. The muscles will soften around the balls.
I hope these tips bring you some relief.

No comments: